August 19, 2026

Disney and its ABC television stations filed suit Tuesday against the Federal Communications Commission. The legal action seeks to halt an unprecedented early review of broadcast licenses for eight owned stations. At its core the case pits government regulatory power against claims of political retaliation.

The complaint, lodged in U.S. District Court in Washington, argues the FCC’s moves represent an extraordinary assault on free speech. Disney accuses the agency of trying to coerce a network that refuses to bow to the administration’s demands. Short sentence. Yet the implications stretch far beyond one company or one set of licenses.

This isn’t the first time President Donald Trump has targeted ABC. He has repeatedly called for the network to lose its licenses over coverage and comedy he dislikes. Reuters first reported the suit and detailed how the feud escalated after Trump urged ABC to fire late-night host Jimmy Kimmel. The FCC ordered the accelerated license reviews the very next day.

And the timing matters. Those eight stations — including major outlets in New York and Philadelphia — weren’t due for renewal until October 2028. No such early review had occurred in more than 50 years. The FCC under Chairman Brendan Carr, a Trump ally, justified the step by pointing to an ongoing probe into Disney’s diversity, equity and inclusion practices. The company denies any unlawful discrimination.

But ABC sees something else entirely. The lawsuit describes a months-long campaign of censorship and control. Democratic FCC Commissioner Anna Gomez put it bluntly. She said the agency has waged that campaign using the threat of license revocations to punish speech this administration doesn’t like.

The triggers are specific. Kimmel’s satirical jabs at Trump. Critical news segments. Comments on the daytime talk show “The View.” Trump posted on social media condemning all of them. The FCC even investigated whether “The View” violated equal-time rules by not featuring enough candidates from both parties. Disney noted the show stopped inviting political guests in February, citing the pressure.

Earlier episodes in the feud add context. ABC paid $15 million or $16 million to settle a defamation suit with Trump in late 2024 over comments by George Stephanopoulos. Other media outlets reached similar accommodations. Critics have accused ABC of yielding too readily. Yet here the network draws a firm line.

Disney CEO Josh D’Amaro spoke to the stakes last week. We’re very principled on this, he said. We’re going to stand up to what we believe is journalistic integrity, and we’re not going to be told how to run that side of our business.

Carr has defended the agency’s actions. Broadcasters must operate in the public interest, he insists, a long-standing but rarely enforced obligation tied to their use of public airwaves. An FCC spokesperson echoed that view Tuesday. The agency will follow the facts and law wherever they lead. Disney, the spokesperson added, is obviously very concerned about the proceeding.

The suit asks for a temporary restraining order. It wants the court to block any further license review or revocation hearing. U.S. District Judge Loren AliKhan quickly directed both sides to propose a briefing schedule. She also told the FCC to notify her before taking any revocation steps. The public comment period on the licenses ended earlier this month. Action could come soon absent court intervention.

Broadcast regulation has always carried tension. Stations receive exclusive spectrum rights in exchange for serving the public. License challenges remain rare. Revocations even rarer. But the mere threat can chill editorial decisions. Networks usually enjoy broad First Amendment protections. This case tests how far those protections extend when regulators question content choices.

Recent history complicates the picture. Trump waged a two-year battle with Disney. He criticized an ABC News correspondent’s question to Saudi Arabia’s crown prince about the 2018 killing of Washington Post columnist Jamal Khashoggi, calling it insubordinate. He demanded the network drop coverage of election-related speeches last month. Each time the message was clear. Change your programming or face consequences.

Legal experts watching the case note its potential reach. A win for Disney could reinforce limits on agency discretion in politically charged environments. A loss might embolden regulators to scrutinize news and entertainment more aggressively. Either outcome will resonate across the industry.

The Washington Post reported that the feud began heating up in September 2025 after Kimmel’s comments on the assassination of conservative activist Charlie Kirk. Carr warned then that companies could change their conduct or face FCC work. Melania Trump publicly called Kimmel’s remarks corrosive. The pattern of response and counter-response has built steadily since.

NPR highlighted the suit’s direct allegation of retaliation for Kimmel satire, news coverage and “The View” opinions. Government censorship is deeply un-American, the filing states, citing Supreme Court precedent against using state power to punish disfavored expression. The network owns stations in six of the largest markets. Losing even one license would disrupt local news, advertising and community programming in ways difficult to repair.

CNBC noted the FCC’s April order came amid backlash over Kimmel and tied explicitly to diversity policies. ABC called that order unlawful, arbitrary and unconstitutional in its May filings. The current lawsuit builds on those objections while elevating them to a constitutional claim.

Industry insiders have watched with a mix of alarm and familiarity. Broadcast licenses once seemed untouchable outside clear public-interest failures. Political winds have shifted that assumption. Carr has spoken openly about reviving the public-interest standard after decades of lax enforcement. His critics call it selective enforcement aimed at ideological opponents.

So what happens next? The court could grant the restraining order within days or weeks. That would pause the license process while the larger constitutional arguments play out. Appeals seem certain regardless of the initial ruling. The case could reach higher courts quickly given the stakes.

Meanwhile reactions poured in across platforms. On X, users from many perspectives decried government overreach or defended regulatory oversight of airwaves. One post captured a common industry sentiment: Broadcast licenses exist to serve the public interest. They become dangerous when regulatory discretion disciplines speech the government dislikes.

The PBS NewsHour described the suit as a rare step that escalates ABC’s battle with the Trump administration. It poses an existential threat to operations, according to the network. Few broadcasters have sued the FCC so aggressively over license reviews. The move signals Disney believes the threat is real and immediate.

Broader questions linger about the FCC’s independence. Courts have curbed agency autonomy in recent years. This dispute may add to that scrutiny. It also raises old debates about the balance between public accountability for broadcasters and freedom from political interference.

Disney and ABC aren’t asking for special treatment. They demand the same constitutional safeguards afforded any speaker facing government displeasure. The administration counters that public airwaves come with obligations. Enforcing those obligations isn’t retaliation. It’s regulation.

The coming months will clarify which view prevails. For now the licenses hang in limbo. The legal papers are filed. The arguments are joined. And the conversation about where regulatory power ends and free expression begins has moved from boardrooms and regulatory dockets into open court.

Disney and ABC Take FCC to Court in High-Stakes First Amendment Clash Over Broadcast Licenses first appeared on Web and IT News.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *